[Dovecot] How do folk . . . Aggregate system mail from LAN machines?

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Wed Jan 12 21:02:25 EET 2011

List, good evening,

Running Dovecot for external email, but not yet worked out how (best)
to aggregate 'system' mail from other machines on the LAN.  By system
mail, I mean mails generated by the OS or by applications, and
addressed to root, or 'some admin user', etc.  Ideally, these would be
seen by 'root' or 'some admin user' or whoever on our existing
Dovecot/IMAP system.  Our scale is not large, we only have 5 servers
on the LAN doing various things.

I wondered how other Dovecot users do this.  I've thought of 3
possibilities:

1.  Install Dovecot on each LAN machine, and use Fetchmail to retrieve
the messages using POP so that local mail stores were emptied.

2.  Perhaps, use a 'forwarding' mechanism of some sort on each LAN
machine, but that would require an MTA on each LAN machine, would it not?

3.  I wondered whether /etc/alias, mentioned in a recent post by
Simone Caruso, might help though again, presumably, requiring an MTA
on each LAN machine.

What do you do?

regards, Ron