[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

David Jonas djonas at vitalwerks.com
Thu Jan 13 02:37:42 EET 2011

On 1/12/11 , Jan 12, 9:53 AM, Marc Perkel wrote:
> I just replaced my drives for Dovecot using Maildir format with a pair
> of Solid State Drives (SSD) in a raid 0 configuration. It's really
> really fast. Kind of expensive but it's like getting 20x the speed for
> 20x the price. I think the big gain is in the 0 seek time.

I've been considering getting a pair of SSDs in raid1 for just the
dovecot indexes. The hope would be to minimize the impact of pop3 users
hammering the server. Proposed design is something like 2 drives (ssd or
platter) for OS and logs, 2 ssds for indexes (soft raid1), 12 sata or
sas drives in RAID5 or 6 (hw raid, probably 3ware) for maildirs. The
indexes and mailboxes would be mirrored with drbd. Seems like the best
of both worlds -- fast and lots of storage.

Does anyone run a configuration like this? How does it work for you?

Anyone have any improvements on the design? Suggestions?