[Dovecot] Best Cluster Storage

Jonathan Tripathy jonnyt at abpni.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 09:22:27 EET 2011

Hi Everyone,

I wish to create a Postfix/Dovecot active-active cluster (each node will
run Postfix *and* Dovecot), which will obviously have to use central
storage. I'm looking for ideas to see what's the best out there. All of
this will be running on multiple Xen hosts, however I don't think that
matters as long as I make sure that the cluster nodes are on different
physical boxes.

Here are my ideas so far for the central storage:

1) NFS Server using DRBD+LinuxHA. Export the same NFS share to each mail
server. Which this seems easy, how well does Dovecot work with NFS? I've
read the wiki page, and it doesn't sound promising. But it may be outdated..

2) Export block storage using iSCSI from targets which have GFS2 on
DRBD+LinuxHA. This is tricky to get working well, and it's only a theory.

3) GlusterFS. Easy to set up, but apparently very slow to run.

So what's everybody using? I know that Postfix runs well on NFS
(according to their docs). I intend to use Maildir

Thanks