[Dovecot] Time jumped forwards

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Fri Jan 14 20:44:22 EET 2011

On 14/01/11 18:18, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2011-01-14 9:32 AM, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
>> I asked the ESX admin to fix the clock, but disabled the VMware
>> synchronisation and now use only ntp in the guest. Never looked back.
>
> Interesting... I thought this was the one thing that you were *never*
> supposed to do??

I enabled (VMware tools) time sync in the first place because I had
heard something about not running NTP in a virtualized guest OS, but
after further reading I found out that in recent virtualization setups,
there are no reasons not to use ntp. It is even advised to use ntp and
not period synchronisation with the host, as ntp results in much more
accurate timekeeping.

Running VMWare tools time sync and ntp together is not good. This
happened to me because I erroneously assumed that time sync was not
working when my clock was 90+ seconds off. I enabled ntp before
investigating why time sync resulted in a faulty time...

When feeling the need for a deeper read:
http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/Timekeeping-In-VirtualMachines.pdf

--
Regards,
	Tom