[Dovecot] Running two different versions of Dovecot (was: making folders unmovable)

Dave dave at momentumweb.com
Fri Jan 14 23:14:39 EET 2011

OK, so I decided to go ahead and just upgrade to the latest 1 series
Dovecot and see if that solves my ACL/config issues I've been having.
(I tried compiling 2.0.9, but it errored out and I assume that's because
it's a pretty old machine/compiler.)

Anyway, 1.2.16 compiled fine, and I installed it in another location
from the currently running 1.1 series install.  I have this new install
running (IMAP) on a non-standard port while I test it out, and it starts
fine and all seems well.  However, I'm wondering, is it OK to run it and
have it look at the same Maildir mailboxes as the currently running 1.1
series install?  Does that have the potential to mess with indexes or
change anything in a bad way?  (FWIW, I tried it briefly, and after
changing the port number in and restarting my mail client [Thunderbird],
it had trouble pulling up the mailbox I was trying to access.)

David