[Dovecot] Time jumped forwards

Ian B porjo38 at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 15 02:18:50 EET 2011

--- On Fri, 14/1/11, Tom Hendrikx <tom at whyscream.net> wrote:

> I had this problem too when I setup a VMware guest last
> month (noticed
> through strange spikes in munin's ntp monitoring, not
> through dovecot
> logs). After some research I found out that I had VMware
> time
> synchronisation (host to guest) enabled, and NTP in the
> guest running.
> The ESX host clock was some 90+ seconds behind, so VMware
> stalled my
> clock once in a while, after which NTP corrected it again.
>
> I asked the ESX admin to fix the clock, but disabled the
> VMware
> synchronisation and now use only ntp in the guest. Never
> looked back.
>
> So in stead of 'ticking all the boxes', explain your setup.
> You have NTP
> enabled, but what does VMware do?

Thanks for the post. I've checked my setup - the guest is not set to sync with the VMware host. NTP is running with local clock server commented out & 'tinker panic 0' set.

It sounds like this is not a Dovecot issue so I'll stop posting to this list now and seek help elsewhere.

What negative effects to Dovecot would I expect to see where the system clock is constantly changing?