[Dovecot] Can I get rid of the fchown log messages?

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Sat Jan 15 02:42:53 EET 2011

Hi,

Since upgrading dovecot version (from somewhat ancient to 1.2.16), I see
messages in the logs like these:

Jan 15 00:55:17 srv0303 dovecot: POP3(obm03): fchown(/home/obm/obm03/mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.tmp, -1, 8(mail)) failed: Operation not permitted (egid=1033(obm), group based on /var/mail/obm03)

I know that this is because the mailbox in /var/mail has ownership
username:mail.
However, in this setup this is intentional, and quota-related (quota on
inbox is enforced by Exim, not Dovecot, and kernel does group-quota but
not for group mail). Also, group read rights for group mail are
intentional.

>From what I read on this list, it has something to do with shared folders.
I did not (at least it wasn't my intention) configure users' inboxes as
shared folders.

So, is there a way to disable these log messages, or, to disable Dovecot's
attempts to try to change the owner/group of the index/cache/log files
when these are inside the user's private ~/mail folder?
More specifically, is there a way to do this without changing anything to
users' inbox permissions?

Thanks,

Maarten