[Dovecot] Best Cluster Storage

Brad Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Sat Jan 15 03:14:01 EET 2011

Depending on your virtualization method, raw device passthrough would
probably be OK. Otherwise, think about what you're doing - putting a
filesystem - on a replicated block device - that's presented through a
virtualization layer -  that's on a filesystem - that's on a block
device. If you're running GFS/GlusterFS/etc on the DRBD disk, and the VM
is on VMFS, then you're actually using two clustered filesystems!

Each layer adds a bit of overhead, and each block-on-filesystem layering
adds the potential for block misalignments and other issues that will
affect your overall performance and throughput. It's just hard to do
right.

-Brad