[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Brandon Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Sat Jan 15 07:19:27 EET 2011

On 1/14/11 8:59 PM, "Brandon Davidson" <brandond at uoregon.edu> wrote:
> I work for central IS, so this is the first stage of a consolidated service
> offering that we anticipate may encompass all of our staff and faculty. We
> bought what we could with what we had, anticipating that usage will grow
> over time as individual units migrate off their existing infrastructure.
>
> 1/3 of the available capacity is passive 3rd-site disaster-recovery. The
> remaining 2 sites each host both an active and a passive copy of each mail
> store; we design to be able to sustain a site outage without loss of
> service. Each site has extra space for several years of growth, database
> restores, and archival / records retention reserves.

Oh, and you probably don't even want to think about what we did for our
Dovecot infrastructure. Clustered NFS servers with seamless failover,
snapshotting, and real-time block-level replication aren't cheap. The
students and faculty/staff not supported by an existing Exchange environment
aren't getting any less support, I'll say that much.

Folks trust us with their education, their livelihoods, and their personal
lives. I'd like to think that 'my fellow taxpayers' understand the
importance of what we do and appreciate the measures we take to ensure the
integrity and availability of their data.

-Brad