[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Jan 15 08:42:42 EET 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 21:09 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Brad Davidson put forth on 1/14/2011 6:25 PM:
>
> > We just bought 252TB of raw disk for about 5k users. Given, this is
> > going in to Exchange on Netapp with multi-site database replication, so
> > this cooks down to about 53TB of usable space with room for recovery
> > databases, defragmentation, archives, etc, but still... 28TB is not much
> > anymore.
>
> The average size of an email worldwide today is less than 4KB, less than one
> typical filesystem block.

Standard in your eyes maybe, hell, 4kb would barely cover the headers in
some messages, I guess you also haven't heard about these things called
"email attachments", please google it, we are not here to be your
educators, though christ knows someone needs to be.
PS your small message alone was 6K.

> This is why people don't listen to Noel (I've had him kill filed for a year--but
> not to the extreme of body filtering him).  They probably won't put much stock
> in what you say either Brad.  Why?

oh my, what will I do, loss of sleep coming up? I think not... perhaps
the fact truth hurts Stanley much more.

> You two don't live in reality.  Either that, or the reality you live in is

really? WOW cool, thanks, I guess I'll shut down all those smtp servers,
the databases  all of it, I mean, if its all a figment of our
imagination, then all the power costs and costs of BTU cooling
requirements, the data costs, they will vanish when we wake up and come
baqck to stans reality? AWESOME!

*chuckles*  this is better than any sitcom :P