[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Sat Jan 15 17:29:56 EET 2011

Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi at onet.eu> wrote:
> Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

>> [...] The average size of an email worldwide today is less than 4KB,
>> less than one typical filesystem block. [...]

> Do not confuse "unix culture" of mostly plain text only email messages
> with "MS Junk" culture of overblown formatting with background images
> company logos as a few image files in every (internal) email.

I just did a rough analysis of the mail spool of my university (6.000
users, students and faculty staff, about 10 million mails) and the
average mail size was at about 96KiB. Last year, this average was at
77KiB and in 2009 we were at 62KiB.

Mails the average size of 4KiB would then have been at a time when
MIME was not yet invented, I believe. Somewhere in 1994.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sig lost. Core dumped.