[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Javier de Miguel Rodríguez javierdemiguel at us.es
Sun Jan 16 20:00:51 EET 2011

El 13/01/11 17:01, David Woodhouse escribió:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 09:53 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
>> I just replaced my drives for Dovecot using Maildir format with a pair
>> of Solid State Drives (SSD) in a raid 0 configuration. It's really
>> really fast. Kind of expensive but it's like getting 20x the speed for
>> 20x the price. I think the big gain is in the 0 seek time.
> You may find ramfs is even faster :)
     ramfs (tmpfs in linux-land) is useful for indexes. If you lose the
indexes, they will created automatically the next time a user logs in.

     We are now trying zlib plugin to lower the number of iops to our
maildir storage systems. We are using gzip (bzip2 increases a lot the
latency). LZMA/xz seems interesting (high compression and rather good
decompression speed) and lzo also seems interesting (blazing fast
compression AND decompression, not much compression savings though)

     What kind of "tricks" do you use to lower the number of IOPs of
your dovecot servers?

     Regards

     Javier