[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 11:49:15 EET 2011

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011, Charles Marcus wrote

> Doing this will also help train users in proper email management -
> treating their INBOX just like they would a physical INBOX tray on their
> desk. They wouldn't just let paper pile up there, why do so in their
> INBOX (because they 'can')? Ie, it should be something they should
> always strive to keep totally EMPTY. Of course this practically never
> happens, but the point is, they need to learn to make a decision once
> they are finished with it, and most importantly, take said action -
> either delete it, or file it.

This is pretty much what I do with the mail domain I administer.  I've
set the INBOX with a modest quota, and a personal mail folder with a
generous quota.  I encourage users to keep their INBOX as a "working set",
and archive the rest using any method they prefer.

It forces users to process their Email (or at least their INBOX).
and keeps packratting in check.  Super-big INBOX quotas seem to encourage
wasteful habits.  I've helped some users clean out their mailboxes and
was surpised at the amount of junk being kept for years and years.

Apart from a few users moaning about their meager INBOX, this policy
works out fairly well.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>