[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jan 17 21:47:53 EET 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 09:07 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2011-01-15 9:30 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > Then, enforce a smallish per user quota (how much would depend on your
> > particular environment, but I'm thinking something like 250 or maybe
> > 500MB, since our users do get a lot of large attachments in the course
> > of doing business) on their INBOX - & Sent, Drafts and Templates folders
> > too, but that's a question on my list of 'how to do' - how to easily
> > place these 'special' folders on the 'fast' namespace, and all user
> > created folders in the 'slow' namespace. It would be really nice if
> > there were some kind of native way that dovecot could 'assign' the
> > 'special' folders to the same namespace as the INBOX, and all other user
> > created folders to another...
>
> Timo - any chance you could comment on the best way to accomplish this -
> or if it is even possible right now? I'm hoping to start testing this in
> the next few weeks...

Well, you can have per-namespace quotas. But that of course means that
the other namespace must have a prefix, so users would have to have
something like:

 - INBOX
 - Drafts
 - Sent
 - bignamespace
     - work
     - etc.

Which wouldn't be very pretty. So if you then wanted to arbitrarily move
mailboxes across different quota roots .. I'm not really even sure what
would be a good way to configure that.

For INBOX only a separate namespace should be possible to implement
without trouble though.