[Dovecot] UW-IMAP .imaprc - does dovecot use this file in any way

Paul Griffith paulg at cse.yorku.ca
Mon Jan 17 22:03:54 EET 2011

On 01/17/11 02:43 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 13:03 -0500, Paul Griffith wrote:
>
>>     We are in the process of settings up a test server to help us test
>> moving from UW-IMAP to Dovecot. I didn't see any reference to the
>> UW-IMAP .imaprc file, does Dovecot just ignore this file.
>
> Dovecot doesn't read that file. (Also AFAIK neither does unpatched
> UW-IMAP.)
>
>> cat .imaprc
>> I accept the risk
>> set mail-subdirectory mail
>
> You can do the same thing by setting in dovecot.conf:
>
> mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
> Of course if some users don't use the ~/mail subdirectory you can get
> into more trouble.

We patched UW-IMAP.

All of our users have their mail in ~/mail so that part is covered. We
also are following the advice on the Dovecot migration wiki.

# Username formatting before it's looked up from databases.
# %Lu would lowercase the username
auth_username_format = %Lu

Our mailbox location setting is:
# Location for users' mailboxes
mail_location = mbox:/local/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/local/home/%u/inbox

The biggest headache is going to be converting UW-IMAP subscriptions to
Dovecot.

Paul