[Dovecot] Dovecot Sieve

J4 junk4 at klunky.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 14:55:57 EET 2011

On 01/18/2011 01:35 PM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Am 18.01.2011 13:21, schrieb J4:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Ok, then I'll post here.
>>>
>>> I asked because it is only now, after three weeks of trying to
>>> understand Sieve and how to filter spam out, that I realised that one
>>> needs a separate programme to enable Sieve in Dovecot.  I had thought
>>> that it was included in Dovecot ,abd one only had to enable a plugin
>>> reference in the dovecot.conf.   Because another programme has to be
>>> installed, I had thought that it was not part of Dovecot proper, and
>>> would need to be addressed to another list.  I know that I shall run
>>> into Sieve related config problems, but did not want to burden this list
>>> with these.
> i dont know how to use sieve to filter spam ( thought it must exec a
> external prog for that like spamc etc), some people use dspam plugin to
> filter spam with dovecot, i only use sieve to filter allready marked
> spam into
> users spam folders, i use spamass-milter with postfix smtp level, there
> are several ways you can do spam filtering, and on what level, so there
> is amavis too etc
>
>>> However, I compiled Dovecot Sieve and installed it into the default of
>>> /usr/local, and it looks like I have a second installation of Dovecot
>>> :(  I downloaded Sieve from wget
>>> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.2/dovecot-1.2.16.tar.gz.  Looks like the
>>> install guide I found that said to install Sieve had a typo' and the URL
>>> was for the whole of Dovecot.
> better use the recent stable branch 2.09
>
>>> i) Does anyone know where I can download Dovecot Sieve from?
>>> ii) Is there a way of removing all the files I installed from the
>>> previous 'make instal'l I did?   I tried a 'make uninstall', but this
>>> did not remove everything.
>>>
>>> I know this looks compleatly braindead to anyone else reading this
>>> list...  myself included ... buts too late ( in both cases ).
>> Question ii) has been solved ( I think ) :
>> cd /usr/local; find | grep dovecot > /tmp/a; for i in `cat /tmp/a` ; do
>> rm -r $i;done
>> Seems to have worked!
> hm why arent you using distro packs....
> if unsure where files are copied i.e do make install again
> at the last few lines apaering you should see where they got copied
> (for sure there are better ways to uninstall, i didnt thought of yet)

Hi Robert,

I used the Debian for Doevcot 1.2, but I did not think that it included
Dovecot Sieve.  Hence I am trying to find it.

I did read that the postfix master.cf entry for dovecot had to be
modified by adding the -a option.  My current one has:
dovecot-spamass   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
    flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/bin/spamc -u ${recipient} -e
/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d ${recipient}

This is so that it uses spamc to add some Headers to it - I would like
Sieve to read these and then take an action.

I added the -a option:-  ( from http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve )
dovecot-spamass   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
    flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/bin/spamc -u ${recipient} -e
/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -a -d ${recipient}
and it broke it:

, status=bounced (command line usage error. Command output: Fatal:
Unknown argument: test at test.info Usage: deliver [-c <config file>] [-a
sender>] [-m <mailbox>] [-n] [-s] [-e] [-k] )

Obviously, I had to add the -a with a value such as recipient, yet I
already have $recipient with the -d option.  Would it work if I added :
/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -a ${recipient}  -d ${recipient}
?

Regards.