[Dovecot] dovecot Digest, Vol 93, Issue 41

Alan Brown ajb2 at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 18:22:17 EET 2011

 > From: Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com>
 > Subject: Re: [Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot
 >

 > Yes.  Go with a cluster filesystem such as OCFS or GFS2 and an
inexpensive SAN
 > storage unit that supports mixed SSD and spinning storage such as the
Nexsan
 > SATABoy with 2GB cache:  http://www.nexsan.com/sataboy.php

I can't speak for OCFS2, but after several years' experience with the
filesystem I strongly recommend NOT using GFS/GFS2. Its locking model is
incredibly slow (500 locks/second on a filesystem mounted with quotas
enabled and noatime) and results in dire performance - plus there's a
known crash vulnerability if files are repeatedly renamed in large
directories (this bites us regularly...)

GFS2 isn't an "enterprise" filesystem by any stretch of the imagination,
despite what a number of enthusiastic salespeople might try to convince
you of. We're lucky to keep the GFS servers up for more than a week at a
time.