[Dovecot] Bug found, assertion failed

Tobias Daucher Tobias.Daucher at nagler-company.com
Thu Jan 20 10:52:32 EET 2011

Hi there,
We're running dovecot 2.06, with mdbox.
Following message was in our syslog:
Jan 20 09:26:48 servername dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.crit] imap(user): Panic: file istream-limit.c:
line 79: assertion failed: (v_offset <= lstream->v_size)

The problem could be solved on client side, by just deleting the ImapMail-Folder in Thunderbird.
Why? Thunderbird tried to move a message, that obviously wasn't there. Dovecot got killed and the
message above was in the syslog. Connection was closed and Thunderbird told me the server is dead.
Thunderbird tried this every few seconds, and there was no way to say thunderbird "stop try moving".
So the only way was to delete thunderbirds mail cache.

I think it would be very nice, if dovecot doesn't die, just because the client tries to move a
message, which isn't there.

Thanks,
Tobias Daucher

--

Dr. Nagler & Company GmbH
Hauptstraße 9

Tel : 09622-7197-38
Fax : 09622-7197-50
Web : http://www.nagler-company.com
E-Mail : tobias.daucher at nagler-company.com

Hauptsitz:		Schnaittenbach
Handelregister: 	Amberg HRB 4653
Gerichtsstand: 		Amberg
Steuernummer: 		201/118/51825
USt.-ID-Nummer: 	DE 273143997
Geschäftsführer: 	Dr. Martin Nagler, Dr. Dr. Karl-Kuno Kunze