[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Frank Cusack frank+lists/dovecot at linetwo.net
Thu Jan 20 22:30:29 EET 2011

On 1/20/11 12:06 AM -0600 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>  This is amusing considering XFS is hands down
> the best filesystem available on any platform, including ZFS.  Others are
> simply ignorant and repeat what they've heard without looking for current
> information.

Not to be overly brusque, but that's a laugh.  The two "best" filesystems
out there today are vxfs and zfs, for almost any enterprise workload that
exists.  I won't argue that xfs won't stand out for specific workloads
such as sequential write, it might and I don't know quite enough about
it to be sure, but for general workloads including a mail store zfs is
leaps ahead.  I'd include WAFL in the top 3 but it's only accessible
via NFS.  Well there is a SAN version but it doesn't really give you
access to the best of the filesystem feature set (tradeoff for other
features of the hardware).

Your pronouncement that others are simply ignorant is telling.

>> Your data isn't safe until it hits the disk.  There are plenty of ways
>> to spool data to ram rather than committing it, but they are all
>> vulnerable to data loss until the data is written to disk.
>
> The delayed logging code isn't a "ram spooler", although that is a mild
> side effect.  Apparently I didn't explain it fully, or precisely.  And
> keep in mind, I'm not the dev who wrote the code.  So I'm merely
> repeating my recollection of the description from the architectural
> document and what was stated on the XFS list by the author, Dave Chinner
> of Red Hat.
> In my desire to be brief I didn't fully/correctly explain how delayed
> logging works.  I attempted a simplified explanation that I thought most
> would understand.  Here is the design document:
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2010-05/msg00329.html

I guess I understand your championing of it if you consider that a
design document.  That brief piece of email hardly describes it at
all, and the performance numbers are pretty worthless (due to the
caveat that barriers are disabled).

Given the paragraph in the "design document":

> The best IO behaviour comes from the delayed logging version of XFS,
> with the lowest bandwidth and iops to sustain the highest
> performance. All the IO is to the log - no metadata is written to
> disk at all, which is the way this test should execute.  As a result,
> the delayed logging code was the only configuration not limited by
> the IO subsystem - instead it was completely CPU bound (8 CPUs
> worth)...

it is indeed a "ram spooler", for metadata, which is a standard (and
good) approach.  That's not a side effect, that's the design.  AFAICT
from the brief description anyway.

This is guaranteed to lose data on power loss or drive failure.