[Dovecot] Fwd: Re: Dotlock dovecot-uidlist errors / NFS / High Load

Brandon Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Fri Jan 21 07:22:54 EET 2011

Stan,

On 1/20/11 7:45 PM, "Stan Hoeppner" <stan at hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> What you're supposed to do, and what VMWare recommends, is to run ntpd _only
> in
> the ESX host_ and _not_ in each guest.  According to:
> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displ
> ayKC&externalId=1006427

Did you read the document you linked? As was mentioned on this list fairly
recently, that's not been the recommendation for quite some time. To the
contrary:

===
NTP Recommendations
Note: In all cases use NTP instead of VMware Tools periodic time
synchronization. (...) When using NTP in the guest, disable VMware Tools
periodic time synchronization.
===

We run the guests with divider=10, periodic timesync disabled, and NTP on
both the host and the guest. We have not had any time problems in several
years of operation.

-Brad