[Dovecot] Does dsync handle client-side deletions?

Patrick Schoenfeld patrick.schoenfeld at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 21 17:15:46 EET 2011

Hi there,

I'm currently evaluating the idea of a multi-master setup where each
node shall hold a full copy of the mailboxes. Basically the idea is
to use NFS and dsync to keep those copies in sync. So I did some
tests with dsync and ran into a problem. Consider the following
scenario:

1) Location1 and Location2 are in sync
2) A mail gets deleted on Location1 (via IMAP)
3) dsync mirror run to sync the two locations

Expected behaviour:
dsync notices that the mail was deleted on Location1 and also deletes
it on Location2 to get the locations in sync.

What I experience, however, is:
dsync notices that the mail is missing on Location2 and copies it
from Location1 to get the locations in sync.

(At least) In debug mode it will spit a warning:

dsync(test2): Info: INBOX: highest_modseq changed: 8 != 11
dsync(test2): Info: INBOX: Couldn't keep all uids
dsync(test2): Info: INBOX: Ignored 1 modseq changes
dsync(test2): Warning: Mailbox changes caused a desync. You may want to
run dsync again.

Now the question is: Doesn't dsync handle deletions or is there something
I missed? Dovecot version is 2.0.9.

Thanks in advance
and best Regards,

Patrick