[Dovecot] Best Cluster Storage

Henrique Fernandes sf.rique at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 17:50:45 EET 2011

[]'sf.rique

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

> Henrique Fernandes put forth on 1/21/2011 1:38 AM:
>
> > We are out of ideias to make it faster. We only came up making more ocfs2
> > cluster with smaller disks. With this we are gettng better performance.
> We
> > have now 2 cluster one with 4 TB other with 1 TB and are migrating some
> os
> > emails form 4TB to 1TB and already have ready another cluster with 1 TB.
> So
> > we have 3 machines and those 3 mount 3 disks each from the storage and
> mount
> > 3 ocfs2 cluster. So we think the each DLM gets less work.  Are we right?
>
> That's impossible to say without me having an understanding of how this is
> actually setup.  From your description I'm unable to understand what you
> have.

Let me try explain better.

We have 3 virtual machines with this set up:

/dev/sda1             3.6T  2.4T  1.3T  66% /A
/dev/sdb1             1.0T   36G  989G   4% /B
/dev/sdc1             1.0T  3.3G 1021G   1% /C

/dev/sda1 on /A type ocfs2 (rw,_netdev,heartbeat=local)
/dev/sdb1 on /B type ocfs2 (rw,_netdev,heartbeat=local)
/dev/sdc1 on /C type ocfs2 (rw,_netdev,heartbeat=local)

My question is, what is faster ? Configuring just one big disk with ocfs2 (
sda1) or using more and smaller disks sdb1 and sdc1 and more ?

It is ok now ?

All our emails are in sda1  and we are having many many performance
problens. So we are migrating some of email to sdb1 and eventualy to sdc1.
Right now, seens to be much better performance in sdb1 than in sda1. But we
are not sure if it is because have so much less emails and concurrency or
because is acctualy better.