[Dovecot] Best Cluster Storage

Henrique Fernandes sf.rique at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 19:50:01 EET 2011

[]'sf.rique

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:

> Hi
>

>  I have considered the idea, but we just change from mbox to maildir about
>> 4 months ago, and we have many problens with some accouts. We were using
>> dsync to migrate.
>>

> Out of curiousity - how did the backup times change between mbox vs
> maildir?  I would suggest that this gives you a baseline for how much
> performance you could recover by switching back to something which is kind
> of an mbox/maildir hybrid?

I don't know if i got your question right, but before, while using mbox, we
had less users and much less quota, it was only 200MB now is about 1GB.  And
before we did not have a good backup system, had many problens.
We pretty much change to maildir to be easie to make incremental backups and
etc.

And we are considering testing mbdox or sdbox. But still to earlier to make
another big change like this.

>  But once we choose mdbox we are sticky to dovecot, or gona have to migrate
>> all users again if we choose to use another imap server.
>>

> True, but seriously, what are your options these days?  Dovecot, Cyrus and
> ...?  If you switch to cyrus then I think you need to plan your migration
> carefully due to it's own custom indexes (so maildir buys you little).  If
> you move to MS Exchange then you still can't use raw maildir.  Actually
> apart from Courier is there another big name IMAP server using raw maildir?
>
> With that in mind perhaps you just bite the bullet and assume that future
> migration will need dsync again?  It's likely to only get easier as dsync
> matures?

Yeah, i know there is no better choices but, still in mind. I had problens
in dsync with acounts that was write by dovecot.
I am studing dovecot dbox!

Still an alternative.