[Dovecot] Panic in 2.0.9 imap-client

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 21 21:49:51 EET 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 12:56 -0600, Mike Abbott wrote:
> >> Jan 17 12:06:20 server dovecot: imap(XXXX at YYYYYYY): Panic: file
> imap-client.c: line 570 (client_continue_pending_input): assertion
> failed: (!client->handling_input)
>
> I can reproduce this every time by sending any data in the same packet
> after the "tag IDLE<CR><LF>".

The crash actually only started happening after I tried to fix this.
Previously the whole connection would hang. Of course, I can't think of
why any client would send IDLE+DONE in the same TCP packet. It doesn't
make any sense. Would have been easier to just send NOOP.

> For instance using nc:
> $ nc localhost 143
> ... login, etc ...
> x idle^M^Jfoo
>
> Where I generate ^M^J by typing ctrl-V ctrl-M ctrl-V ctrl-J.

Oh, that's nice. I've always been annoyed at testing these kinds of bugs
because I didn't know of any easy way to send multiple commands in same
packet.

Fixed now: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/4741f1b4f9b3