[Dovecot] Does dsync handle client-side deletions?

Patrick Schoenfeld schoenfeld at debian.org
Fri Jan 21 22:31:08 EET 2011

Hi,

thanks for the quick response.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 07:21:44PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 16:15 +0100, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
>
> > 1) Location1 and Location2 are in sync
> > 2) A mail gets deleted on Location1 (via IMAP)
>
> Via Dovecot v2.0 IMAP?

Yes.

> What mailbox format? You haven't disabled index
> files, right?

Mailbox format is Maildir. I haven't disabled index files, at least not
knowingly. Basically I'm using a default configuration, based on
whats delivered with the Debian snapshot package of dovecot2
(from what I can tell, this is doc/example-config/* in the source
tarball) with the neccessary changes to authenticate against a LDAP
server.
However, from a look at the maildirs I cannot find a main index file as
described in [1], only the two other indexes.

<hostname>:/var/spool/mail1/test2/Maildir# ls -l *index*
-rw------- 1 vmail root 17408 21. Jan 21:12 dovecot.index.cache
-rw------- 1 vmail root  2080 21. Jan 21:12 dovecot.index.log

Is that normal?

> > What I experience, however, is:
> > dsync notices that the mail is missing on Location2 and copies it
> > from Location1 to get the locations in sync.
>
> This shouldn't happen. Although I've heard that this actually does
> happen randomly and I haven't really debugged it much yet. But it should
> be a rare occurrence, not reproducible.

In my current setup its reproducible.
Note: This is dovecot 2.0 on Debian Lenny.

Best Regards,
Patrick

[1] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/IndexFiles