[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Frank Cusack frank+lists/dovecot at linetwo.net
Mon Jan 24 23:06:29 EET 2011

On 1/20/11 11:49 PM -0600 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Frank Cusack put forth on 1/20/2011 2:30 PM:
>> On 1/20/11 12:06 AM -0600 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>>  This is amusing considering XFS is hands down
>>> the best filesystem available on any platform, including ZFS.  Others
>>> are simply ignorant and repeat what they've heard without looking for
>>> current information.
>
>> Your pronouncement that others are simply ignorant is telling.
>
> So is your intentionally quoting me out of context.

Not at all.  Your statement about ignorance has no context required.

> The "ignorant" are those who blindly accept the false words of others
> regarding 4+ year old "XFS corruption on power fail" as being true today.
> They accept but without verification.  Hence the "rumor" persists in many
> places.

Indeed, those folks are more than ignorant, they are in fact idiots.
(Ignorant meaning simply unaware.)

> "In my desire to be brief I didn't fully/correctly explain how delayed
> logging works.  I attempted a simplified explanation that I thought most
> would understand.  Here is the design document:
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2010-05/msg00329.html
>
> Early performance numbers:
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2010-05/msg00329.html"
>
> Note the double URL paste error?  Frank?  Why did you twist an honest
> mistake into something it's not?  Here's the correct link:

Wow so you are basically an asshole as well as arrogant.

> Stop being an ass.  Or get off yours and Google instead of requiring me
> to spoon feed you.

LOL that actually made me laugh, thanks.

>> This is guaranteed to lose data on power loss or drive failure.
>
> On power loss, on a busy system, yes.  Due to a single drive failure?
> That's totally incorrect.  How are you coming to that conclusion?

Why don't you re-read the design.  I'm not going to spoon feed you.

> Performance always has a trade off.  The key here is that the filesystem
> isn't corrupted due to this metadata loss.  Solaris with ZFS has the same
> issues.  One can't pipeline anything in a block device queue and not have
> some data loss on power failure, period.  If one syncs every write then
> you have no performance. Solaris and ZFS included.

You might want to get current on ZFS as well.