[Dovecot] Dotlock dovecot-uidlist errors / NFS / High Load

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 25 00:13:53 EET 2011

On 24.1.2011, at 23.06, <list at airstreamcomm.net> wrote:

> We tested the patch you suggested with no success.  We are seeing
> timestamps straying into the 100's of seconds of difference, which does not
> reflect the perceivable drift that shows on our systems clock (which is
> negligible, sub 1 second).
..
> Created dotlock file's timestamp is different than current time
> (1295900137 vs 1295899898): /mail/username/Maildir/dovecot-uidlist

I see you have:

> dotlock_use_excl: no

There was another reason why the above error could happen with that setting. http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/ab81fbb195e2 fixes it.

But anyway, the main problem you have is that Dovecot is waiting for hundreds of seconds for the uidlist lock. It shouldn't. Meaning your NFS server is answering way too slowly to Dovecot.