[Dovecot] Multiple Concurrent IMAP Connections For Same User

Nigel Webber nigel at veletron.com
Wed Jan 26 12:47:16 EET 2011

Hi

I've been using courier for some time, but have just built a new box and
am using dovecot (V1.2.9), Ubuntu 10.04LTS. I have a question regarding
multiple concurrent imap connections and how to get dovecot to behave in
the same way that courier does. I have searched the wiki, but find
little relevant to my specific issue.

Courier-Imap Behaviour

If I have thunderbird pointed at the 'Inbox' folder via IMAP, then
connect another IMAP client to the same mail account (in this case an
iPhone), and then delete an email using the iphone, then after a couple
of seconds, the inbox shown by Thunderbird updates, removing the now
deleted email. It does this without my having to touch Thunderbird.

Dovecot behaviour

Performing the same test on a different mailbox, this time hosted via
Dovecot, I again see the two views, one in Thunderbird and one on the
iPhone, but when I delete the email on the iPhone, the change is not
reflected in the view on Thunderbird. If I select the email on
Thunderbird, then it has no content. If I restart thunderbird, the
deleted email is still shown. I have to delete (the already deleted) the
email also in thunderbird before it finally dissapears.

How can I get the courier behaviour where the inbox in one email client
automagically reflects the changes made to that inbox in another client?
If I am better sticking to Courier to get this functionality, thats
fine, but if I can configure the behaviour I desire and still retail the
benefits of dovecot then thats even better!

Kind Regards

Nigel