[Dovecot] Multiple Concurrent IMAP Connections For Same User

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Jan 26 12:53:49 EET 2011

Am 26.01.2011 11:47, schrieb Nigel Webber:
> Hi
>
> I've been using courier for some time, but have just built a new box and
> am using dovecot (V1.2.9), Ubuntu 10.04LTS. I have a question regarding
> multiple concurrent imap connections and how to get dovecot to behave in
> the same way that courier does. I have searched the wiki, but find
> little relevant to my specific issue.
>
> Courier-Imap Behaviour
>
> If I have thunderbird pointed at the 'Inbox' folder via IMAP, then
> connect another IMAP client to the same mail account (in this case an
> iPhone), and then delete an email using the iphone, then after a couple
> of seconds, the inbox shown by Thunderbird updates, removing the now
> deleted email. It does this without my having to touch Thunderbird.
>
> Dovecot behaviour
>
> Performing the same test on a different mailbox, this time hosted via
> Dovecot, I again see the two views, one in Thunderbird and one on the
> iPhone, but when I delete the email on the iPhone, the change is not
> reflected in the view on Thunderbird. If I select the email on
> Thunderbird, then it has no content. If I restart thunderbird, the
> deleted email is still shown. I have to delete (the already deleted) the
> email also in thunderbird before it finally dissapears.
>
> How can I get the courier behaviour where the inbox in one email client
> automagically reflects the changes made to that inbox in another client?
> If I am better sticking to Courier to get this functionality, thats
> fine, but if I can configure the behaviour I desire and still retail the
> benefits of dovecot then thats even better!
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Nigel

first show your conf
to make sure what you configured dovecot

and i tested same scenario many times
with tb and android k9 mail imap
dovecot 2.0x i see it working like expected at deleting moving mail
for sure there always might be time, time drifts
by differnt network speeds and refreshing imap cons

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria