[Dovecot] Can't get it working

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed Jan 26 22:30:02 EET 2011

Per Jessen put forth on 1/26/2011 3:25 AM:
> Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> Jerrale G put forth on 1/25/2011 7:34 PM:
>>
>>> --
>>> Stan, the guy doesn't know english very well; cut him a break.
>>
>> And you don't know how to reply to an email.  See that "-- "?  That
>> tells an MUA
>> to ignore everything after the signature in a reply.  Thus, my reply
>> to you may not be threaded properly unless my manual edit is correct.
>
> AFAIK, threading is usually based on message-id and the References
> header.

Wrong terminology on my part.  Replace "threading" with "quoting".

>> Your MUA apparently doesn't mind, as you just added a comma to my sig,
>> and started composing your email.  Please don't do this in the future.
>>

>> I find it hard to believe the OP doesn't "know English very well":
>>
>> ~$ whois suddenlink.net
>>
>> Registrant:
>> Suddenlink Communications
>>    12444 Powerscourt Dr
>>    St. Louis, MO 63131
>>    US
>
> "Lives in country X" doesn't imply "speaks language of X very well".
> Plenty of expats around here to prove that :-(

Until recently I lived in St. Louis for 15 years, worked IT in St. Louis for 15
years.  You don't find many expats or H1Bs working in St. Louis, and especially
not ones that don't have a good grasp of English.  The few I met were Indians,
Kenyans, and Tanzanians, and all spoke and wrote nearly perfect Queen's English.

I re-read the OPs post twice and didn't notice any broken English.  I didn't say
with certainty he has no English issues.  I said it's very unlikely given what
he wrote, and where the RHS domain he sent from is registered.

But this is well off topic, so I suggest we end this aspect of this thread.  The
OP can tell us his background if he so chooses, though it's largely irrelevant.
 I'm not really sure why Jaralle brought this up in the first place.

--
Stan