[Dovecot] Best filesystem?

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 27 22:59:45 EET 2011

Quoting Monika Janek <mjanek at sidefx.com>:

> Hi everyone! What's the best filesystem to use for the mail spool? I'm

Yikes!  Opening that can of worms again...

> debating between Debian with xfs or FreeBSD with zfs. I'm not sure which
> way to go. I'm migrating from cyrus. I have about 50 users so it's not a
> large setup.

I would say both XFS and ZFS are fine.  Pick the OS you want (Debian or
FreeBSD) and then use the filesystem that comes with that OS.  At the
size you state, and the filesystems you list, the OS choice will be much
more important than the filesystem is.

If you really want to pick a file system rather than an OS, then it
would depend on admininstrative/management features of the OS, not
the purpose (mail spool).  You would pick which ever is best for
your needs as far as managing it goes.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics