[Dovecot] dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (tried to use disabled plaintext auth): method=PLAIN

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 28 03:48:13 EET 2011

On 11:59 AM, John Espiro wrote:

> On 1/27/2011 7:56 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Are you able to get your mail via your pop client?
> Yes.
>> If so, the log messages are from other attempts (probably by crackers
>> trying to guess passwords on your system) to log in. Is there a "rip="
>> in the log messages giving the IP of the originator? If so, is it yours?
> There is a "rip" and it's my IP address.  I've got fail2ban and
> denyhosts running very tightly, and so far, no one has even attempted to
> log in to my mail accounts (ssh is a whole other story :)

So you successfully get mail via your pop client in spite of the above.

My guess is somehow the client first tries plain authentication without
STARTTLS before trying STARTTLS.

In my case with pop3 and T'bird I use

Port 995
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication: Normal password

I haven't tried port 110 and STARTTLS (mostly I use IMAP anyway).