[Dovecot] Copying sieve scripts

Christoph Pleger Christoph at plmail.de
Sun Jan 30 10:40:58 EET 2011

Hello,

I am using squirrelmail with avelsieve to edit my filter rules. The filter
rules are like this:

1. If the message contains a virus, delete the mail and notify me by email.
2. If the message is spam, deliver it to my spam folder.
3. If the message is from the dovecot mailing list, deliver it to my dovecot
folder

Yesterday, I created a new user and wanted to let him have rules 1 and 2 like
above, only with another destination for email notification. So, I copied my
sieve script into the sieve directory of the new user, deleted rule 3,
changed the destination for email notification and then called sievec to
compile the rule set.

But this did not work like expected: Using squirrelmail, I saw that the new
user had only rules 1 and 2, but the destination in rule 1 still contains my
email address. My own account still has three rules.

So, this simple way of copying sieve scripts does not work. Is there another
way to copy sieve rules from one user to another?

Regards
  Christoph