[Dovecot] Cooperating with dovecot in its Maildir

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Sun Jan 30 21:22:34 EET 2011

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:

> On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 12:04 -0600, Rob Browning wrote:

>> OK, so it sounds like if we wanted to be completely safe, we probably
>> need to know that we're in a dovecot Maildir, and then we need to know
>> where to create the appropriate dovecot-uidlist.lock file whenever
>> renaming files.
>
> There's no good way to find out where the uidlist files are, if they're
> not in the maildir itself. They typically are.

Right, I was assuming we might just have to require the user to tell us
whenever they're not in the normal place.

>> Do you happen to know if the liblockfile (lockfile_create(3), etc.)
>> .lock strategy is compatible with dovecot's approach?
>
> Should be. It's possible though that in a future version there is
> no .lock file but rather the uidlist is locked directly with fcntl.

OK, though as you're probably aware, there may be some issues
cross-platform, and/or with shared FSs.  Avery wrote an interesting
summary recently:

  http://apenwarr.ca/log/?m=201012#13

Thanks again
--