[Dovecot] disable_plaintext_auth = no ignored by dovecot in Ubuntu 10.04

Dave100 dave100 at dndwifi.net
Mon Jan 31 20:15:53 EET 2011

On 01/31/2011 08:39 AM, David Mattox wrote:

>> On 31.1.2011, at 7.25, David Mattox wrote:
>>
>>> I have been trying to get Dovecot configured to allow plaintext auth
>>> with no success.  After some testing with the mail system I
>>> discovered the>dovecot -a   commant to dump the config file values
>>> from the program.  Gee, changing the value of disable_plaintext_auth
>>> had no effect on what the program reported this value to be!
>> You sure dovecot.conf is the right file and not dovecot-postfix.conf
>> (that dovecot-postfix package uses)?
>>

>> Tim,     Good question.  I am checking....

So, the problem was the multiple files used.  It appears to me that
/etc/dovecot.conf and /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf were both being
used.  Was was being used by the Dovecot processses handling POP and
IMAP clients.  The other was being used by the Dovecot process being
called by Postfix for authentication.

When I initially ran dovecot -a  I was in my home directory and so it
seems to have been defaulting to the /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf file.

Note; for anyone reading this...  If you are running dovecot in a chroot
dir there is also a seperate dovecot.conf (or dovecot-postfix.conf) file
for this.

Thank you, Tim, for the question that got me pointed in the right direction.

Dave