[Dovecot] imap idle and concurrent connections

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Jul 4 12:25:49 EEST 2011

On 04/07/2011 09:04, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in my testing dovecot (1.2 in that case) seems to not notify all
> idling clients about new "recent" mails but only one of them. The
> others get usually a message about the new number of mails after some
> time but never recent ones.
> Only one client gets notified about a new mail. Is that a known issue
> or something which might be configuration specific?

Interesting if you have a reproducible test case?

I have seen a peculiar issue for a while with Thunderbird, where in a
shared inbox, my Thunderbird is set to enable it's basic "lemonade"
support and very occasionally someone else using the shared mailbox
marks a message read but I don't see it read on my machine (it's even
tricky to get TB to resync and notice...).  Also sometimes two emails
arriving very close together my Thunderbird only shows one of them

There are plenty of non Dovecot things which could cause these symptoms:
Thunderbird bugs (probably!), NAT timeouts on the client side (I'm
behind a NAT).  However, I haven't been able to repro this in a
consistent way...

Do please consider if NAT is involved in your scenario.  I have a
sneaking suspicion that NAT timeouts might be at least part of the reason?

Good luck

Ed W