[Dovecot] Converting from qpopper mbox to dovecot maildir

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 03:05:30 EEST 2011

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011, list at airstreamcomm.net wrote:

>> I didn't do anything special other than to use
>>
>>  	pop3_reuse_xuidl = yes
>>
>> so that clients don't re-download all their messages.
>
> Did you convert the mbox emails to maildir format as well, or just put
> dovecot in front of the mbox files and run with the config setting you
> described above?

No, I left the mailboxes as mbox and did not convert to maildir.  I had
all sorts of mail clients and some use direct file access to their
mailbox, so it requires a lot more deep-think before I can contemplate
moving to maildir.

Many people on this list have successfuly migrated to maildir so I don't
think you'll have too much trouble.

You'll appreciate that dovecot avoids some of the problems I had with
qpopper:

 	- qpopper made temp copies of a user's INBOX, and if you didn't put
 	the drop copy on another filesytem, you essentially halved a user's
 	quota.
 	- because of the above, qpopper eats I/O like candy.
 	- multiple client qoppper access will trouncing/locking user INBOXs.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>