[Dovecot] Lots of LMTP errors Remote server not answering (DATA output timeout) (in reply to end of DATA command))

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Fri Jul 8 15:04:05 EEST 2011

El 08/07/11 12:18, Angel L. Mateo escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I have configured two dovecot servers with director acting as
> lmtp/imap/pop proxy server with 8 dovecot backend servers.
>
> In our test environment we had no problem, but when we migrated to
> production environment, our mail list server (it delivers mail through
> lmtp) is having a lot of errors like this:
>
> 451 4.4.0 Remote server not answering (DATA output timeout) (in reply to
> end of DATA command))
>
> Proxy and backend servers are not loaded.
>
> Any idea?

	By now, I think I have resolved the problem. We have limited the rate
at what list server delivers mail to dovecot. The default postfix
configuration is:

lmtp_destination_concurrency_limit = 20
lmtp_destination_recipient_limit = 50

that is,

	a maximum of 20 lmtp concurrence connections with a maximum of 50
recipients per connection. We have decrease to 5 and 10 and since then
we have no more data output timeout errors.

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática