[Dovecot] Dovecot NFS locking issue

satish patel satish_lx at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 8 20:08:40 EEST 2011

Hi All,

We had 15 imap/pop UW-imap servers behind load balancer and mail storage was NFS  for almost around ~30,000 users on it.  Currently we migrate UW-imap to dovecot with fcntl  NFS locking.  After migration on dovecot it started error related locking see following error

Error: fcntl() failed with mbox file /home/w/a/wahmed/.inbox: No locks available
Error: fcntl() failed with mbox file /home/e/d/edurand/.inbox: No locks available

Look like my NFS locking getting overload or something its (netapps NFS server)

what you suggest to fix this issue ? how uw-imap was working with NFS before ?

Appreciate your help.

-S