[Dovecot] SASL

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sat Jul 9 23:23:24 EEST 2011

* Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke at gmail.com>:
> i am looking for a pop3 server and would like to know dovecot pop3 closer.
> In my current infra structure all my users have a single login and one
> password. I have been authenticating unix, web, ldap, smtp against
> saslauthd server.
>
> It is possible to have dovecot pop3 authenticate by contacting saslauthd too ?

No, but Dovecot can lookup users in LDAP, authenticaten and authorize them.

> Another question:
>
> All my user information are keeped inside LDAP using qmail.schema. Can
> dovecot pop3 look into ldap an return information about user mail
> directory, etc .... ?

Yes, it can and it is very flexible. Either you only lookup a few items and
derive the rest from standard settings configured in Dovecot or you have
Dovecot lookup everything in LDAP. In any case you simply map the LDAP
attributes to Dovecot atttributes as you need it. Once you understood it (it's
not too complicated) it's even fun. ;)

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666