[Dovecot] n00b here -- pop email deletion

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Mon Jul 11 03:09:37 EEST 2011

On 07/10/2011 07:59 PM, Glenn English wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2011, at 5:52 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>
>> You can do things on the server to mitigate damage from people who
>> check the "leave messages on server for eternity" box, but
>> generally, this is a client preference.
>
> What things can I do on the server? Many of my people use Macs, and
> there's nothing (I can find) in the iMail config to turn off the
> eternity switch.

With POP3, they don't have a "Trash" folder so you're probably stuck
setting a quota[1].

You could also run a cron job or maybe use the expire plugin to get rid
of old messages, but that would likely piss someone off eventually.

And, I guess, if they're leaving *every* message on the server, you
could switch them to IMAP. They can't possibly leave any more stuff on
there, right?

[1] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota