[Dovecot] n00b here -- pop email deletion

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Mon Jul 11 05:11:25 EEST 2011

On 7/10/2011 7:23 PM, Glenn English wrote:

> Sigh. They were IMAP -- I was trying to help them -- I got them to switch to POP because their email directories were getting too big; they never delete anything. I was hoping that POP would fix the server's directory size, and they could keep all the baby pictures they wanted to.

What is the actual nature of the problem you are attempting to solve
Glenn?  Disk space?  Performance degradation?

Switching users from IMAP to POP will never solve either of these.  You
need either more disk space or quotas (filesystem level, not Dovecot
quotas), or both.  You may also want to look into an HSM system
depending on your budget and overall storage system complexity.  HSM
rarely makes sense for a single server.

--
Stan