[Dovecot] Process parameters tuning

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Thu Jul 14 14:26:51 EEST 2011

Hi,

	I'm having problems with director and lmtp for delivering messages to
my dovecot farm. Also I have a warning like this:

doveconf: Warning: service auth { client_limit=4096 } is lower than
required under max. load (5048)
doveconf: Warning: service anvil { client_limit=1000 } is lower than
required under max. load (2003)

	So I'm trying to tune processes parameters, but I haven't found a
complete description of these parameters. All I've found are examples.
Questions are about client_limit, service_count, process_limit and
process_min_avail.

	I think that process_limit and process_min_avail are the maximum of
running processes for a service and the minimuf of idle process,
respectively.

	But I don't completely understand what exactly are client_limit and
service_count,

	Service_count means how many times a process is reused. If you
configure it as 1 means that every time a process ends its connections,
it dies. If you configure as 0, when the connections ends, then the
process remains idle waiting for new connections. Isn't it?

	But what does client_limit means? The number of clients that a process
can handle? Then number that can handle concurrently? Can a process
handle more than one client concurrently?

	The documentation at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LoginProcess simply says:

* Otherwise new processes are created only once an existing one's
connection count reaches client_limit
* Default client_limit * process_limit = 1000*100 = 100k connections

	Does this mean that a process handle a maximun of client_limit
connections concurrently?

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática