[Dovecot] Performance with 200k messages in Maildir

Ricardo Branco ricardo at wenn.com
Tue Jul 19 12:54:39 EEST 2011

If you have 200k all within one folder progs like TB will have issues loading it all up and may hang when you try to do
moves/deletes etc, not sure if mutt stores a local cache of headers, thats the biggest worry.
Biggest single folder ive seen at our office had 60k messages, it loads slowly on a cold cache in TB.
Biggest mailbox has over 350k, my mailbox is over 250k, ofcourse thats across several folders.
Mailserver is on VMware server (local drives), datastore (with maildirs) is separate NFS server on 11x2TB SATA R6 array
(has other SAS disks for other things).
If you have it spread out in different folders then it wont be so bad.