[Dovecot] Dovecot 2, Imap service, client_limit

Steve Fatula compconsultant at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 01:56:31 EEST 2011

I see back in November of last year, a thread about using client_limit in the
imap service (not imap-login) that would allow each imap process serve more than
one connection. Sounded good, until I tried it!

When I did, unlike the OP of that thread, I got:

dovecot: imap(submit.user): Fatal: setuid(503(submit.user) from userdb lookup)
failed with euid=501(links): Operation not permitted (This binary should
probably be called with process user set to 503(submit.user) instead of
501(links))

So, it would appear that this does not work. Still, the thread was posting
results of their testing even that showed it worked.

Sample message within the thread, read for more:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-November/054893.html

I'd love to be able to use a single imap process for more than one connection.
Is this still possible, or, not? If so, how?

Steve