[Dovecot] POP3 vs. IMAP Load/Memory usage in Dovecot 1.0.15

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Jul 20 21:27:45 EEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 07:03 +0100, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 00:21 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > Are these virtual machines?  You didn't state so previously.  Running
> > 2.6.18 as a VM guest on these machines may also be part of the incorrect
> > load reporting problem.  If so, run the data collector daemon inside the
> > hypervisor itself so you get actual load figures.  You'll never get
> > accurate performance metrics for a whole box from a kernel/daemon inside
> > a VM guest.
> >

> Nope, all on the bare metal in our own datacentre.
>
> I'll let you know how the HT switchoff goes.
>
> M.

Hi all,

Just to let you all know that once we upgraded to Dovecot 1.2 (and
enabled attribute caching on the NFS devices!) the loads settled down.

We've seen a drop in 15 minute load average from 12 to 2 and a drop in
NFS I/O from 30K I/OPS to 3K I/OPS whilst continuing to serve the same
number of queries - quite a difference!

Thanks to all who helped,

Kind regards,

Matt