[Dovecot] Automatic Client Retrieval of Messages

Willie Gillespie wgillespie+dovecot at es2eng.com
Sat Jul 23 03:55:51 EEST 2011

On 07/21/2011 01:57 PM, qmail at top-consulting.net wrote:
> So let me ask another way then..
>
> can you have folders visible when doing LIST "" % but which won't be
> used by the e-mail client unless subscribed to ?
>
> I mean, what is the point of subscriptions if the e-mail client pulls in
> everything anyways ?
>
>> On 2011-07-21 2:38 PM, qmail at top-consulting.net wrote:
>>> Are there any mail clients that automatically pull in folder contents
>>> even though they don't have a subscription to that folder ?
>>>
>>> I have defined a namespace with subscriptions=yes, hidden=yes and
>>> list=yes. There are no subscriptions files for any of the users yet they
>>> are still pulling data from the folders in that namespace.

iPhones and iPads pull from all folders, ignoring subscriptions.

What is the point of subscriptions if the client pulls in everything
anyway?  There is no point in that scenario.  But nowhere will it say
that I am only required to read my subscribed folders either.

In my usual setup, I don't subscribe to my "spam" folder because I don't
usually want to see it.  But, every now and then, I do go look at it.
Subscriptions are the choice of the user and his MUA.