[Dovecot] lmtp multiple recipients fail

flylordis flylordis flylordis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 20:06:50 EEST 2011

Remy Zandwijk remy at luckyhands.nl wrote:

>On 28.07.2011 01:15 , flylordis flylordis wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am having a problem with the lmtp delivery of mail addressed to
>> multiple recipients.  The first recipient receives the mail correctly
>> but the next recipients do not.  ltmp apparently tries to create a
>> link from the subsequent recipients' mail store to the first recipient
>> mail store and fails.  This returns 451 smtp codes to the sender which
>> then resends at some later time.  Please see below for users jerry,
>> steve, and mary.  The message to jerry gets written but not steve or
>> mary:
>>
>Are you using Postfix? What are the Postfix values of:
>
>transport_destination_concurrency_limit
>transport_destination_recipient_limit
>

>-Remy

We are using sendmail on a couple of MX boxes that are communicating
directly with dovecot/lmtp on port 24.  Again from the logs in my
first message the troubling entries are those that look like this:

Jul 27 11:24:42 testmailserver dovecot: lmtp(12412, steve): Error:
link(/spool/mail/j/jerry/mail/INBOX/u.20423,
/spool/mail/s/steve/mail/INBOX/.temp.1311791081.P12412Q2M989550.testmailserver.)
failed: Permission denied
Jul 27 11:24:42 testmailserver dovecot: lmtp(12412, steve):
+1IXBeVXME58MAAARoVNxQ: msgid=<201107271824.p6RIOPa5020900 at
backup.>: save failed to INBOX: Internal error occurred. Refer to
server log for more information. [2011-07-27 11:24:41]

lmtp seems to be attempting to write a link from one user's mail store
to another user's mail store.  This only happens on recipients that
are not first on the recipient list.

Best regards,
-Boris

PS - Apologies to the list if this mail produces an out of thread
message as I posted the original message as a non-member (needing
moderator approval) and I am now a member.