[Dovecot] sieve on debian squeeze

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Jul 29 05:49:32 EEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 16:55 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 7/28/2011 2:51 AM, Andrea Ganduglia wrote:
>
> > Now the problem concerns outgoing messages. If I try to send e-mail
> > through out command <mail> (local user) or through out authentication
> > provided by a virtual user I get a <bounce> error like:
>
> Dovecot has nothing to do with outbound mail.  Your Postfix
> configuration is horribly mangled.
>
> > Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic postfix/pipe[27788]: 1C3B525481B4:
> > to=<user at example.com>, relay=spamassassin, delay=0.22,
> > delays=0.15/0/0/0.07, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via
> > spamassassin service)
> > Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic dovecot: auth(default): master in:
> > USER#0111#011user at example.com#011service=deliver
> > Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic dovecot: auth-worker(default):
> > sql(user at example.com): SELECT maildir, 1001 AS uid, 1001 AS gid FROM
> > mailbox WHERE username = 'user at example.com'
> > Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic dovecot: auth-worker(default):
> > sql(user at example.com): Unknown user
> > Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic postfix/pipe[27704]: 47DF825481B6:
> > to=<user at example.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.01, delays=0/0/0/0.01,
> > dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (user unknown)
> >
> > where <user at example.com> is the recipient of this e-mail.
> >
> > As you see, dovecot for some reason check the existence of recipient
> > as the e-mail was incoming.
>
> Again, that's because Dovecot has nothing to do with outbound mail.

Rubbish, if they use  virtual_transport = dovecot (like most because its
more flexible than postifixs virtual), postfix does ask dovecot to auth
the user, so of course it will do a lookup.

I do agree though that she should be using submission in postfix, and
IIRC, SA from master.cf is a backscatter source, it should be dumped and
amavisd-new used instead.

As Andrea does have something wrong and needs to look at the entire
setup, and since she uses debian, google shows some useful results, for
one -  workaround.org  it provides details for debian/postfix/dovecot
isp mail setup, just reading it for a few minutes, I don't agree with
all he writes, mostly for efficiency reasons, but his directions would
very certainly result in a working system.