[Dovecot] Bug: Fixed a duplicate

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 3 16:00:06 EEST 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 21:16 +0200, Tom Sommer wrote:
> I restored a dovecot mailserver today, and when I started the server
> again, the logs filled up with "Fixed a duplicate" warnings.
>
> This in itself it not a problem, the problem is that it appears the fix
> is not done correct.

You shouldn't have restored an old maildir on top of an existing
maildir. That is the main problem. The same mails had different flags
(=different filenames), and Dovecot just renamed one of the files to
make sure no mails got accidentally lost. In your case it should have
just deleted the duplicates, but there's no such feature yet. Dovecot
works exactly as intended here. The full explanation is more complex
than I want to type right now.